Located in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, along the East River waterfront, the Austin Nichols House restores and revitalizes a turn-of-the-century concrete warehouse, originally designed by Cass Gilbert for the Austin, Nichols & Co. The clean, contemporary design of the 338 high-end apartments complements Gilbert’s surprisingly modern 1915 building, which is notable not only for its elegant proportions but for being one of the first reinforced concrete buildings in New York and its listing on the National Register of Historic Places. The interior design celebrates the structure’s history by preserving the concrete finishes on the massive interior columns and using concrete countertops and honed Carrera stone finishes that evoke the original materials. MA Art developed a “green wall” for the lobby of the building.
Image Credit: Donna Dotan